Sunday, January 29, 2012

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins... with added chocolate chips!

Hadn't made blueberry muffins in a long time.
IMG_3760_edited-1

Got some blueberries on sale - so decided to try a new recipe.
IMG_3765_edited-1

Love annies-eats' recipes, so went looking on her site and found these yummy and healthy muffins.
IMG_3761_edited-1

I did add some chocolate chips to the mix though!
IMG_3758_edited-1

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins... with chocolate chips!
from annies-eats

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (I highly recommend fresh!)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl combine the applesauce, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in the applesauce mixture. Stir together just until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries and chocolate chips! with a rubber spatula.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. I added a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

IMG_3762_edited-1

IMG_3757_edited-1

7 comments:

Suzy said...

Yummmy!! Blueberry Applesauce sounds like a wonderful combination. I really need to try out a few of your recipes!

Unknown said...

you always make the yummiest stuff....love all the ideas you are giving me.

Nicki said...

a regular smorgasbord of a muffin. I love the bottled milk - nice addition.

Becca said...

You bake the best stuff! Your photos make my hungry for muffins.

joscelyne cutchens said...

chocolate chips make everything better :)

Kerry said...

Those look yummy! I do enjoy seeing all the things you bake. :)

Juli said...

I realize that these were posted years ago. But I want to thank you for the recipe. I have made them multiple times. I didn't have buttermilk the first time, but read I could sub yogurt. So now I make them with greek yogurt, and I forgot the oil the first time, so decided not to use in subsequent attempts. One more thing I did (because I did it with another muffin recipe and liked it) was mixed the yogurt with the oats first then did everything else. I think the yogurt breaks down the oats a bit before they cook.
Anyhow, these are yummy and my 1 year old loves them! And so does daddy and mommy.