I love anything with lemon - Corona, lemon bars, lemon soaps, and of course, lemon cupcakes!!
Even better - love icing with lemon!!
Made these to bring to a BBQ. They were enjoyed by all! Especially drizzled with the lemon icing!!
Adapted from the book "Cupcakes Galore", Margarita Cupcakes with Lime Glaze... except I used lemon!! So now they are
Margarita Cupcakes with Lemon Glaze
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus pinch for the egg whites
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons tequila (used lemon juice instead)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon tequila (used low-fat milk)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add lemon rind and tequila (or lemon juice).
4. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into batter.
5. Fill cupcake papers a little over 1/2 full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
6. To make the glaze: in a medium bowl, mix the lemon juice, powdered sugar and tequila (or milk) and beat until smooth and blended. Stir in yellow food coloring (if desired). Brush cooled cupcake with glaze and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Decorate with a jellied lemon slice.
Makes 15 cupcakes.