Monday, September 5, 2011

Labour Day Chocolate Cupcakes

It's back to school for many people so I thought I should bake some cupcakes for the big day...  even though I am not going back to school!!IMG_1609_edited-1

I was in the mood for chocolate (as usual!), so I opened up my Crazy about Cupcakes book and found a yummy recipe!
IMG_1617_edited-1

I haven't had one yet, but I will after supper - I did run 8 kms this morning so I am allowed!! ;)
IMG_1618_edited-1

Chocolate Cupcakes
from Crazy About Cupcakes
24 cupcakes (but I made them bigger - 18 in my case!)


½ cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup boiling water
2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
¼ pound plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature.


1.       Preheat the oven to 350F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.

2.       Place the cocoa in a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over cocoa and whisk until all lumps are dissolved. Add the bittersweet chocolate to the cocoa paste, and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.

3.       In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and beat 1 minute after each addition. Add the vanilla.

4.       Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix at low speed until well integrated. Add the yogurt and mix well. Add the remainder of the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add the chocolate. Mix until blended. Do not overmix.

5.       Fill the cupcake liners one-half to three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan.

Vanilla Frosting
from Crazy about Cupcakes

3 cups confectioners sugar
½ cup unsulated butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk


1.       Gradually add the sugar to the softened butter and  cream together with an electric mixer.
2.       Stir in the vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth and of spreading consistency. Add a little more milk or sugar as needed.

IMG_1614_edited-1

IMG_1619_edited-1

IMG_1620_edited-1

IMG_1627_edited-1

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I just love your food shots. I think you missed your calling :) You should be shooting for a food magazine!

Maria said...

Holy cow! 8 Km! Nice going Celine! You certainly earned that cupcake!

Peggy said...

These look so cute! And you definitely deserve a cupcake after 8km! You go girl!

Margaret said...

Love how you decorated them, especially with the ring of sprinkles. Good for you for running 8K. Yes, you definitely have earned the right to a cupcake!

Sashquatch said...

These are so so gorgeous, and sound darn yummy too! Lovely recipe and your photos are beauuuttiful

Anonymous said...

quick question: about how many cupcakes does this make?

Reds said...

I think it should make 24 - but I made them bigger and made about 18! Hope you will enjoy them!

Anonymous said...

thank you!