Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Turkey Chili Mac

I love to cook... and I love to eat... Most of the time, I cook healthy meals.  This is one of those times!!  I was looking for a good chili mac and I found this great recipe on mommahenskitchen - it is DELICIOUS!!  I was surprised  because often I find dishes with ground turkey to be a bit dry - not in this case!

 I did add some veggies I had to use up - a bit of onion and some bell peppers!


  

 and of course, some low-fat mozzarella cheese!! :)
  



Skillet Chili Mac with Corn - adapted from My Kitchen Cafe (my changes in red)


1 lb ground turkey
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
3/4 tbs chili powder (added about 1 1/2 tbs)
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tbs olive oil
3 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs brown sugar (didn't add)
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
8 oz. pasta, cooked (added a bit more)
1 cup frozen corn (used a can)
2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped (didn't add)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (used low-fat mozzarella cheese)

Cook ground turkey over medium heat until no longer pink (I added some onion and bell peppers here). Drain fat. Add chili powder and Cajun seasoning; mix well. Add 1 tbs olive oil to pan. Cook garlic and brown sugar for 1 - 2 minutes.

Add tomato sauce and cooked pasta. Simmer on medium low for 5 - 10 minutes. Add frozen corn, cilantro, and cheese. Cook for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted and corn is heated.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I love taking a recipe and making it my own! Of course, I'm getting better as time goes by. I used to first make the dish without making changes, then I'd make it again with my modifications. Now I can go straight to the modifications and it usually turns out O.K. This looks absolutely awesome!

Maria said...

I'm glad you added the corn!